Posted by Judy T.
This year’s adult and children’s summer reading program, Reading is So Delicious, kicks off on Monday, June 4th. In anticipation of a summer full of delectable books, let’s think about food this month.
1. What are: angel hair, conchiglie, pappardelle, penne, ziti and tortelloni?
2. What do vanilla, cocoa and tofu have in common?
3. This classic American fruit salad typically includes apples, lemon juice, celery, walnuts and mayonnaise. What is it called?
4. What country is the world’s largest producer of bananas?
5. French chef Auguste Escoffier is credited with creating Cherries Jubilee. For what occasion was it created?
6. Pineapples are classified as berries. True or False
7. Which of the following is not a whole grain: a) quinoa b) oatmeal c) white rice d) popcorn
1. Types of pasta 2. They are bean based or a product of beans. 3. Waldorf Salad - Oscar Michel Tschirky, maitre d'hotel, is given credit for creating this salad for a private party on the pre-opening of New York’s Waldorf Astoria Hotel on March 13, 1893. Oscar worked at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel from its opening until he retired in December 1943. 4. India is the world’s largest producer of bananas, but they are not exported; they are consumed domestically. 5. Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee 6. True- Pineapple is a mass of berries fused to a central stalk 7. White rice is not a whole grain