Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Reading Suggestions: A List of Hidden Gems Part 1

Posted by Staff

Looking for a great summer read?  Take a look back at some of the staff selections from our Winter Reading Relay.  We chose our favorite hidden gems from our collection - books that are not well known, but deserve to be.  We asked patrons to let us know what they thought of the books.  Over the next few weeks, we're posting some of the favorites here.  We'll also place all of these titles on Pinterest, so jump over there for even more great reading recommendations.

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.  An unpredictable story paired with fascinating information about flowers and their history.Patron review:  I absolutely loved this book! The charming descriptions of the meanings of the flowers intertwined within the story added a lighter aspect to the hard life of Victoria. I also really enjoyed the way the writer flipped between 10 year old Victoria, to 18 year old Victoria. It was an interesting way to tell a story, and, I think it made it easy to understand. I highly recommend this book; you won’t be disappointed with the ending!

Picture the Dead by Adele Griffin and Lisa Brown.  This unique book is well researched historical fiction, plus a ghost story, plus a mystery (!),  all interspersed with illustrations that appear to come from a Civil War scrapbook.
Patron #1 review:  Well-researched historical fiction with a  well-written plot.  I really enjoyed it.
Patron #2 review:  I really liked the story.  Could not put the book down.  I read it in a day.  I felt like I was in the past when I read this book.  Made me understand what (people) went through during the Civil War.  Great information.

The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakuruni.  A retelling of a classical Indian myth, this story deals with family issues, lore, and fate- all with a magical twist.
Patron #1 review:  Very hard to put down! This enchanting tale is very good at keeping your fingers turning the pages. It makes me want to read the Mahabarat and learn more about these characters.
Patron #2 review:  Excellent, well-written story I would have never picked up outside of the relay. A beautiful telling of one of India’s ancient tales. Makes me want to read the originals!

The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard.  A murder mystery where Edgar Allen Poe (a young version) is the main suspect. Great twist at the end.
Patron review:  A very good read.  Beautifully written in a style that transports one to that time in our history.  The author gives insight to the West Point Academy in its infancy; a harsh time for the cadets.  The plot is compelling, with twists and turns that sometimes seem irrelevant, but pay attention!  The characters are very real, the political scene accurate to the times.  The outcome is a very big surprise.  I was not even close in my guess on the final act.  I will read the author’s other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment