Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Eat Your Yard! Learn to Create an Edible Landscape

Posted by Katherine R.

I love gardening and I love the idea of a beautifully landscaped yard. So when I moved into a new house that had very little landscaping done, I was excited. I was also overwhelmed. Landscaping from scratch was intimidating. I've always turned to the library when I want to learn a lot about a new topic. I check out lots and lots of books and then read them. So, to conquer my lack of landscaping expertise, I visited the library's card catalog, and read a lot. I became intrigued with the idea of planting things that had more than one purpose. I've had a vegetable garden whenever I've had room in my yard for one but I wanted fruit too. Why couldn't you use blueberry bushes as a hedge? Or, use a fruit tree when you want some shade? These thoughts lead me to a collection of books about edible landscaping.



The Edible Front Yard: the mow-less, grow-more plan for a beautiful, bountiful garden by Ivette Soler

Soler offers step-by-step instructions for converting all or part of a lawn into an edible paradise: specific guidelines for selecting and planting the most attractive edible plants: and design advice and plans for the best placement and combining edibles with ornamentals in pleasing ways.Inspiring and accessible, this is a one-stop resource for a front-and-center edible garden that is both beautfiul and bountiful all year round.







The Beautiful Edible Garden: design a stylish outdoor space using vegetables, fruit, and herbs by Leslie Bennett and Stefani Bittner


The Beautiful Edible Garden shares how to not only grow organic fruits and vegetables, but also make your garden a place of year-round beauty that is appealing, enjoyable, and fits your personal style. Written by a landscape design team that specializes in artfully blending edibles and ornamentals together, The Beautiful Edible Garden shows that it’s possible for gardeners of all levels to reap the best of both worlds.






Landscaping with Fruit by Lee Reich


"Luscious landscaping," as author Lee Reich calls it, brings fruit-bearing plants to front and back yards everywhere. Spring blossoms, summer and fall fruit, and the year-round presence of the plants themselves bring a special magic to the home landscape. And of course, they provide sweet, nutritious fruit in season. 










Edible Landscaping by Rosalind Creasy

Drawing on the author’s decades of research and experience, the book presents everything you need to know to create an inviting home landscape that will yield mouthwatering vegetables, fruits, nuts, and berries.




No comments:

Post a Comment