Total Pageviews

Monday, September 26, 2016

Our Favorite Banned Books

Posted by Staff

Banned Books Week has just started and goes through September 30th. The American Library Association has held this event annually since 1982 "in response to a sudden surge in the number of challenges to books in schools, bookstores and libraries". More than 11,300 books have been challenged since 1982 according to the American Library Association.(http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/about) We've decided to share our favorite banned books with you. What is your favorite banned/challenged book?

 







Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Lisa E.)

I like many things about the book, but one thing I like the most is that it makes me think about war and the effects of war.

 







 

 

 

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Devin G.) 

While I do love this book anyway, what makes it my favorite banned book is the irony! People attempting to ban a book that warns about the dangers of banning books. All kidding aside, it has a captivating story line and well developed characters. Every page leads to a new discovery that drives you to keep reading.


I chose it because the apparently simple story can spark thought and discussion in many areas. The story is not always easy to read - one of the topics sparked is infanticide. My thought would be although labeled a children's book it seems to be more suited to the young adult age group.

(Tirzah D.)

When I first read The Giver, I was immediately swept away by Lowry’s writing. I like how the book gets readers thinking on several moral issues. I also enjoy the developing relationship between the Giver and Jonas the main protagonist (who happens to be one of my favorite book characters!). 





 



 

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls (Amanda E.)

Ms. Walls memoir is intense, sometimes funny, sometimes heartbreaking, but ultimately uplifting. It is the type of story that needs to be told. It reminds us that a difficult origin story doesn’t have to define who we become. 


 
 






The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kelcey H.)

The hunger games trilogy will forever be one of my all time favorite series. I love the world building and the amount of imagination the book forces you to use. It's a classic tale of perseverance, hardship, and sacrifice. I love the series so much I actually bought them in the UK special editions, pictured here!
I can't wait to reread them & jump back into the dystopia world as soon as possible!

 

 





I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Gwen B.)
 I read this book my junior year in high school. What I enjoyed about it was it celebrates the spirit, tenacity and determination of black people to succeed despite adversity.

 









Captain Underpants (series), by Dav Pilkey  (Susan C.)

My son and I read these together and he laughed as we read all the way through. I'd say these books helped my son feel the joy of reading.

(Sally A.)  

There are several favorite books on the list--The Kiterunner, To Kill a Mockingbird, The  Hunger Games, but I would've been really sad if Captain Underpants hadn't been around when our son was young.  Though the books may be a bit silly, they engage kids early on to become  readers of Chapter books.


This is a beautiful and heartwarming story of a young man growing up and trying to come to terms with who he really is. It is a story about first crushes, lost family, and learning to accept who you are. It is part of a wonderful series called Dangerous Angels which is all about the value of love, family, & being true to yourself. There is nothing objectionable in this book. The only reason anyone would oppose it is if they oppose love. 


 








Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Zach H.)

I enjoy stories about survival, and I thought it was an interesting look at the fragility of civilization.

 



 







The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Kristen R.)
I quickly became invested in the unique perspective and journey of the young narrator, Christopher, who discovers and works to solve a mystery, which continually twists his world inside out.



 






Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Evan E.)
This is a wonderful story about a young woman growing up in Iran, I don't come across many stories from the perspective of people living in the Middle East and I find it refreshing to see a perspective that is not seen though the western gaze.



 




Dead Poet’s Society by N.H. Kleinbaum (Jill S.)

I found this book to be very beautiful and inspiring, even though there was also deep sadness.   It demonstrated how a caring, creative teacher can touch lives and inspire their students to strive for excellence.  And it didn’t hurt that he was teaching them to love literature at the same time!











No comments:

Post a Comment