Total Pageviews

Friday, November 17, 2017

It's National Picture Book Month: Staff Favorites

Posted by Staff

November is National Picture Book Month and we're celebrating by sharing a few of our favorite books. Some of these were books that we grew up reading and some are recent finds, but they are all wonderful!


 

The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters by Janet and Allan Ahlberg (Jake). It was easily my favorite book growing up. Not only was the artwork fantastic but I also loved the inclusion of fairy tale themes. And the little bits of mail included were also a really neat addition.






 





Sarah’s Unicorn by Bruce and Katherine Coville (Amanda). It was the first book I remember buying with my own money. I purchased a retired library copy at a book sale for a Nickel. It has the happiest of happy endings for the good guys and the bad guy.

 













I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (Megan J). Kids and adults will find something to laugh about as they read this story of one bear's search for his beloved hat. Probably my favorite picture book of all time, this simple story is a perfect for reading aloud, especially if you give each animal a different voice.

 









The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton (Cassandra). The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton is such a sweet little story about change, the passage of time, and coming home. It also has beautifully drawn illustrations that I just love to admire while reading this story to my daughters.












Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes (Joyce). The gentle Caldecott Medal winning illustrations lure children in. The story is an appropriate bedtime story for all kitten loving preschoolers.

 












The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt (Emily)








 




 

Roar of a Snore by Marsha Diane Arnold (Emily)














 

Vegetables in Underwear by Jared Chapman (Emily)







 







Once Upon an Alphabet by Oliver Jeffers (Emily)















The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (Lorriane)

 




 





The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin (Tirzah) When I first read this for a literature class, it immediately became one of my favorites, because of the lovely illustrations and the message of inner beauty, goodness, and love.

 






 




 
Bad Seed by Jory John (Gerry). Although this book came out a few months ago, it already has made my personal Favorite-Picture-Books-of-All-Time list! It's laugh out loud funny and the illustrations are great!

 












 
Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (Devin). My favorite as a kid! It is a beautifully illustrated book that teaches that while we’re all different, we’re very much the same.







 





The Best Nest by P. D. Eastman (Jill). I have always loved this book. I love the story, the illustrations and the message. Home is where your family and heart are, and often we go searching for things that are right in front of us the entire time. "I love my house. I love my nest. In all the world my nest is best!”






 




Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton (Katherine). I loved this story growing up. It's about a tractor that is able to save the day by digging out a city that gets hit by a huge snowstorm. I love the detailed pictures and actually being able to see the the paths that Katy cleared.

No comments:

Post a Comment