Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Meet the Staff: Dawn H.




How long have you worked at the library?
I started here in August, so about 3 months. I did work at another library for a few years prior, so I have experience in this setting.

How many items do you have checked out right now? 5 books, 1 audiobook. That’s actually kind of a small amount for me.

How many items are on your hold list? I have 3 things requested right now, but I use Goodreads to keep a running list of books that I want to read. I think I have 300 something books on there right now that I am interested in.
 






What book can you read again and again without losing interest? Why do you still read it? I rarely reread a book. I have so many that I want to read that I almost can’t justify spending time on a book I’ve already read. That being said, I’ve read all the Outlander series books twice and those are some doozies. It’s a great story. I reread it because it was being made into a show and I wanted to be more familiar with the plot line.

What aspects of the library do you think are underutilized?

I don’t think enough of our patrons know that they have an account with our system and can access it through our catalog.

What is your favorite book format (book, audio, mp3, e-reader, etc.)?
I love the feel, sound, and smell of a traditional book. (nothing like new book smell) I do use an e-reader when traveling so I don’t have to lug around books and will listen to an audiobook while driving from time to time. The narrator can make a break a book for me though.

What is your favorite aspect of working at the library?

Being able to talk about books, genres, and subjects that I’m interested in with like- minded people, co-workers and patrons both. Also it is super satisfying when you help someone find a new genre or author and they end up loving it.

What books do you feel guilty for not having read? Basically any of the classics. (shame on me)

Have your reading habits changed since working at the library? If so, how?
My reading habits haven’t really changed. I’ve been an avid reader my whole life and was very familiar with libraries and book stores. I know where to find the books I want to read.

What is your perfect reading environment? A slightly chilly overcast day, a cozy blanket, a cup of tea, and a great book. And plenty of uninterrupted time. I have a toddler so that is hard to come by.

What was your favorite children’s book when you were a child? What is your favorite children’s book now? The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf and Stone Soup by Marcia Brown. They are coming out with a cartoon movie about Ferdinand that I’m excited to see and take my son to see.
 




I read to my son every day and one of our favorites has been, The Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle.

No comments:

Post a Comment