Total Pageviews

Monday, June 25, 2018

Meet the Staff: Hannah M.



How long have you worked at the library? 5 months

How many items do you have checked out right now? 14


How many items are on your hold list? I think, 2


What book can you read again and again without losing interest? Why do you still read it? 
Virginia Woolf’s The Waves. I love the language it uses. When I was making artwork, this is how I wanted my photographs and films to feel- magical, and powerful, and clear. I like the way it makes me think when I’m reading it and directly after… It feels like pure perception, and always makes me notice more.

What aspects of the library do you think are underutilized? 
Our digital resources- I love our newest one- Kanopy. It has some really wonderful films, as does Hoopla. Lynda and Mango are great for learning new skills and languages… If only we had limitless time and boundless energy to enjoy learning everything offered!

What is your favorite book format (book, audio, mp3, e-reader, etc.)? 

Book, for sure. I like to be able to flip through and see what’s coming up, what’s happened, and the overarching format at a glance.

What is your favorite aspect of working at the library? 

I really enjoy being around all these people excited about reading and expanding their knowledge. It’s inspiring. I’ve also come to feel a bit like a filter feeder while I’m there- All these great books float past me as they get checked back in. I’m constantly pulling things off the re-shelving carts to take home with me.

What is your guilty reading (or listening) pleasure? 

I don’t read as much as I used to (or should). If I have free time, I’m usually making something while listening to a lot of podcasts- some with less merit than others. Some of my favorites are Answer Me This Podcast, The Allusionist, and No Such Thing As a Fish. They’re a little bit ridiculous, full of fascinating tidbits, and always put me in a good mood.

What books do you feel guilty for not having read? 

 Please don’t fire me: I’ve never read the Harry Potter books… any of them... eek! 
 
What is your perfect reading environment? 

Riding on public transport, when my destination is a long way away. I feel so efficient and so justified- getting reading time in while there’s nothing else that can be done. I also love reading in waiting rooms, to the point where I’m a bit sad when they finally call my name.
 
If you were stranded on a desert island, what single genre of books would you want with you? 
Books on art and artist monographs, hands down. I should say survival books, but it would be nice to be inspired with art and ideas while I was stuck there.

What was your favorite children’s book when you were a child? What is your favorite children’s book now? 

I loved Linnea in Monet’s Garden - (and I wanted to dress like her). Also, The Rainbow Goblins - it scared me to pieces, and I loved it! Favorites now: Iggy Peck, Architect; Rosie Revere, Engineer; and Ada Twist, Scientist. The rhymes are so clever, and they’re great stories!

Before you worked here, what was your worst library transgression? 

I am a late turner-inner, and I’m sad to report that that hasn’t changed much since I’ve started working here. Three weeks just goes by so fast…

No comments:

Post a Comment