Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Fresh Finds: Newly Published Books

Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller (Publication date: April 17)

Katherine's Review:

(4 out of 5 stars)
It has been awhile since I read a book quite so creative and unique as this one. Sam Miller does a fantastic job of world building and creating a future with climate change related problems that I found plausible (though admittedly, terrifying). I loved the way the storylines weave together and how the connections between the characters are revealed. I was slightly disappointed in how things wrapped up in the end. I expected it to be more tightly finished off. This one was a page-turner for me and I found it very hard to put down.

 

 

 

 

The Lido by Libby Page (Publication date: April 19)

Katherine's Review:

(3.5 out of 5 stars)
I enjoyed reading this heartwarming story about the development of a friendship between a young woman overcoming her anxiety and a older, widowed woman while trying to save a neighborhood pool. I did find it very predictable at times, but was still glad that I had read it.




 

 

 

 

My Boyfriend Is a Bear by Pamela Ribon (Publication date: April 24)

Kelcey's Review:

(2 out of 5 stars) 
While the illustrations were super adorable, this book was just odd to me. If you think too much into what the story is about, you'll gross yourself out. It also completely lacked a story line/plot so I kept expecting it to go somewhere but unfortunately nothing happened. The illustrations for this graphic novel were honestly its saving grace.

 

 

 

 

 

Ten Year Stretch: Celebrating a Decade of Crime Fiction at CrimeFest edited by Martin Edwards and Adrien Muller (Publication date: April 26)

Joyce's Review:

(5 out of 5 stars)
This is an short story anthology of crime fiction from around the world. It is a great opportunity for the reader not only to read new works from a favorite author but to find and enjoy works of an unfamiliar author.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9 Days and 9 Nights by Katie Cotugno (Publication date: May 1)

Kelcey's Review:

(4 out of 5 stars)
This is the sequel to "99 days" that I've waited 3 years for. Since it took so long for this sequel to come out, this book read like it's own stand alone. There was a little recapping to jog my memory on what happened in the first book but this one is set one full year later. I loved the traveling aspect of this book and it brought back a lot of my own memories from my international travels. I'd easily recommend this small duology to someone looking for a light summer read.

 

 

 

 

Al Capone Throws Me a Curve by Gennifer Choldenko (Publication date: May 8)

Tirzah's Review:

(4 out of 5 stars)
Once again we have another great story about Moose Flanagan and his life on Alcatraz. It has been some time since I read the last one (Al Capone Does My Homework), so some details were hazy at first but when consequences from previous actions started appearing in the plot, I began remembering the main points. Similar to its predecessors, this one is about sticking with family, growing up, learning to make wise and difficult choices, and coping with change. I have enjoyed the Al Capone at Alcatraz books and recommend the series to historical fiction readers approx. 5th grade+.

 

 

 

A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza (Publication date: June 12)

 Jill's Review:

(5 out of 5 stars)
I almost didn’t read this, because my first impression when reading the description was that I have read a similar story too often lately. This book, however, was fresh and beautifully moving with gorgeous prose. I loved this book and was sad for it to end.

Katherine's Review:

(5 out of 5 stars)
I loved this book! It is a very moving story and the characters are so well-developed that I feel like I really know them. I am so glad I read this one!






No comments:

Post a Comment