Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Meet the Staff: Lisa E.

Posted by Lisa E.

How long have you worked at the library? About 3.5 years.
How many items do you have checked out?  25
How many items are on your hold list?  15

What book can you read again and again without losing interest? Why do you still read it?  I can read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, again and again without losing interest because I always find something new in it.  The novel raises questions about war for which there are not real answers.  I also find it interesting that the story is not told sequentially; it moves around between past, present and future of Billy Pilgrim's life, including both real and fantasy events, such as Billy's trips to the planet Tralfamadore.  I also love the audio version of Slaughterhouse Five read by Ethan Hawke, and have listened to it a couple times as well.

If you were a literary character, who would you be and why?  I would be Scarlett O'Hara because she was strong, hopeful, resourceful, and never gave up.  I loved her character from the first time I saw Gone with the Wind, which happened to be at the Wildey Theatre when I was in fourth grade.

What aspects of the library do you think are underutilized?  I think one area of the library which is underutilized is our website.  There are many resources and services available which are still unknown to many, such as the links to the great websites under the Reader's tab.  I think our campaign to educate patrons about the databases is helping, but it will take time to spread the word and help people learn how to use the various services.

What is your favorite book format?  My favorite format is audio because I can listen while driving or doing housework.

What is your favorite aspect of working at the library?  My favorite aspect of working at the library is helping people.  I really like working with people and doing my best to serve them.

What books do you feel guilty for not having read?  I don't really feel guilty for not having read any books in particular, but there are many books, especially classics and prize-winners, that I'd love to read someday.  I'd also like to read the wide variety of books that patrons recommend to me.

Have your reading habits changed since working at the library?  If so, how?  My reading habits have changed since working at the library.  I know I put many more items on hold than I did before.  Also, I have learned so much from my co-workers and patrons.  I always trust their recommendations.

What was your favorite children's book when you were a child?  What is your favorite children's book now? My favorite children's books were a 12-volume set of beautifully illustrated Bible stories that either my dad or grandma would read to me every night.  I would still consider them my favorite children's books because they mean so much to me, and I still have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment