Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2011

My Friends....

Posted by Staff, in celebration of National Library Week

"I have friends, whose society is extremely agreeable to me: they are of all ages, and of every country.  They have distinguished themselves both in the cabinet and in the field, and obtained high honors for their knowledge of the sciences.  It is easy to gain access to them; for they are always at my service, and I admit them to my company, and dismiss them from it, whenever I please.  They are never troublesome, but immediately answer every question I ask them.  Some relate to me the events of past ages, while others reveal to me the secrets of nature.  Some, by their vivacity, drive away my cares exhilarate my spirits, while others give fortitude to  my mind, and teach me the important lesson how to restrain my desires, and to depend wholly on myself.  They open to me, in short, the various avenues of all the arts and sciences, and upon their information I safely rely, in all emergencies.  In return for all these services, they only ask me to accommodate them with a convenient chamber in some corner of my humble habitation, where they may repose in peace; for these friends are more delighted by the tranquility of retirement, then by the tumults of society".  Francesco Petrarca (b.1304 d.1374)

Petrarch (as his name is known in English) was an Italian scholar and poet, best known for his sonnets, essays and published collections of personal letters.  He studied law (but never practiced), worked for a Cardinal, and wrote extensively throughout his life. He loved books and learning of all kinds; the excerpt above is from an essay describing the love of his library.

To learn more about Petrarch, or read more of his works, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment