Monday, July 11, 2011
Board of Trustees of the EPL - who are they and what do they do?
Our library board members are an amazing group of volunteers. Their service to the Edwardsville Public Library ranges from one year to 30+! They meet the last Wednesday of the month at 7:00 PM in the Public Meeting Room of the Library. All meetings are open to the public.
Our Board members are: Robert LaRose, Pete Fornof, Francie Powell, JoAnn Nabe, Emily Terry Gates, Sharon Whittaker, Gary Denue, Gloria Zupanci, and Kimberly Harrison.
Library boards in Illinois were created by law as citizen control or the governing body of the library. The Library Board's responsibilities include:
1. Employing a competent and qualified librarian
2. Determining the purpose of the library and adopting written policies to govern it's operation and programming.
3. Determining the programming and needs of the library in relation to the community and to keep abreast of standards and library trends.
4. Securing adequate funds to carry on library programming
5. Establishing, supporting, and participating in a planned public relations program.
6. Assisting in the preparation of the annual budget and approving the final document.
7. Knowing local and state laws, and to actively support library legislation in the state and nation.
8. Establishing among the library policies, those dealing with book and material selection.
If you have questions about our Board or Library functions, do not hesitate to let us know. We are always open to suggestions and comments.