Total Pageviews

Monday, August 12, 2013

Greetings From Our New Director, Susan Carr

I came to Edwardsville to teach glassblowing in a sabbatical position at SIUE and had planned to move on to the next job after that. But  I simply fell in love with the Edwardsville community and all that the city has to offer and decided to stay living here. I have always been a big reader, and the library continued to be a part of my routine here in Edwardsville, providing entertainment, answers to any question I was researching, and gave me a  sense of belonging to the community. The staff was so helpful and kind and helped me find anything I needed; I knew I would enjoy working here if I ever had the chance. By 1992, my husband and I had a 2 1/2 year old son, and I wanted to spend time raising him. I stopped glassblowing and took a year off to be with him. As he started preschool, I came to the library and inquired about working here. A few months later I was hired as a page. And so began my career path to becoming a librarian! I continued on through the ranks and went back to school at the University of Illinois to receive a Masters in Library Science in 1999. After being a reference librarian and the Assistant Director, I am honored to be the new Librarian-Director of the Edwardsville Public Library and to be part of the team that keeps the library running smoothly.

As they say, “It takes a village” and we’d like the people of Edwardsville to be assured that we are committed to working together to serve the community.  We welcome any questions you may have; please feel free to visit or call the Library and let us know your thoughts and suggestions.  Whether you come to use the computers, take advantage of the reading room or Carnegie’s CafĂ©, use the reference department services, attend adult or children’s programming or check out materials, please remember that we welcome your ideas, suggestions and requests. We encourage you to ask for our assistance. This is your library!   

No comments:

Post a Comment