Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Patron Book Reviews: Summer Suggestions #1

Book reviews provided by EPL Patrons


Benediction by Kent Haruf.  The story of the end of a terminally ill man’s life, but also the story of the moments that made up his life.  Quietly beautiful and sad, this is a book worth reading. 

Mr. ChurchillsSecretary by Susan MacNeal.  A very well written look at Great Britian at the beginning of the bombing in WWII.  The story is a murder mystery with a young girl secretary who has inside information.

How Will I Know by Sheila O’Flanagan.  Good book. Good characters. Funny, light-hearted. Didn’t want to put it down, Good family values, wholesome sexual tension.


The Silent Hour  by Michael Koryta.  Great detective story.  Koryta always offers well written suspenseful plots.  I did not want to put the book down.  Great beach read



The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Lekha.  I wouldn't have picked this up except as a blind date book.  I found myself really enjoying this!  It was dreamlike and romantic, with philosophy and spirituality.



Babyville by JaneGreen.  Absolutely amazing.  The writing style is wonderful.  It was spellbinding from cover to cover.  I literally could not put this book down.  I plan to read more books by this author.  From single life to married life, to life with children, this book spares you the sugar coating and discusses the mental affairs and depression that comes with postpartum.  A realistic and brutally honest book.

Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier.  I liked this book a lot.  The idea itself is quite interesting, plus the author has a unique way of expressing numerous thoughts and emotions.  I had to stop and re-read certain sentences because they were so amazing!  I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment