Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Staff Book Reviews: New Non-Fiction

Posted by Cary H.


Poirot and Me by David Suchet

I have been reading Agatha Christie novels since I was in my early twenties.  Once discovered, I have devoured most of her stories, both in print and on television.  Those of us who have followed David Suchet’s 24-year-long television career portraying Christie’s famous detective Hercule Poirot, know that the final episodes were completed this fall.  I was very anxious to read his book, ready to learn and understand what this role has meant to him. 

I am a very sympathetic reader on this topic, but I must say I will not give the book the 5 stars so many readers are giving it on Amazon.   I would say 3.5 stars, mainly because I got bored while reading the book.  As I said, I was fully prepared to love this walk down memory lane with an actor who has provided me with hours of on-screen enjoyment, but his writing tone and the anecdotes he decided to impart both had a slight feeling of self-indulgence. 

Now, who am I to deny David Suchet his moment to bask in the lime light?  He more than deserves all his accolades as a wonderful actor in this Christie series.  But, as a writer, I felt like the book was just a bit too self-satisfied for my taste.  Other readers seem to love it and you may too.  Give it a try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment