Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Graphic Novels for Kids...that Adults Will Like Too!

Posted by Katherine R.

When I was a child I never read graphic novels. Sure, I read the comics in the Sunday newspaper, but I was never exposed to graphic novels. So when my kids got to an age where they were interested in exploring different kinds of books, I wanted them to experience graphic novels too, but I had no idea where to start.  I've put together this list of graphic novels from those I originally found for my kids and have added a few more recent publications. If you're looking for graphic novels that are great for younger kids and that you'll enjoy too, start with these!


Mr. Pants: it's go time! words by Scott McCormick, pictures by R.H. Lazzell
On the last day of summer vacation, all Mr. Pants wants to do is play laser tag, but Mom and his sisters, Foot Foot and Grommy, have other ideas. I love the bright colors and bold pictures.



Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest by John Lechner
In Burrwood Forest, a village of burrs (seed pods) leads a busy life gathering food, building stick houses, and having extraordinary adventures. I loved the adorable illustrations of the village and that the village has a mean character named Scurvy Burr. 


Binky the Space Cat by Ashley Spires
Binky is a space cat - at least in his own mind. He's really a house cat who has never left the family "space station." Unlike other house cats, Binky has a mission: to blast off into outer space (outside), explore unknown places (the backyard) and battle aliens (bugs).


Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook by Eleanor Davis
On his first day of junior high, Julian meets Ben and Greta, two secret scientists like himself! The three form a secret club, complete with a high-tech lair. When the trio discovers an evil scientist's dastardly plan to rob a museum, the three inventors armed with their wacky creations try to defeat his masterplan. This one is perfect for science-minded 3rd - 6th graders. I loved the highly detailed illustrations and pored over the details on each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment