Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2016

Meet the Staff: Megan J.


Posted by Megan J. 


How long have you worked at the library? I’ve been working here almost 2 ½ years—I got hired on January 10, 2014, which I still remember because it was my 24th birthday!

How many items do you have checked out right now? 13

How many items are on your hold list? 7
 

What aspects of the library do you think are underutilized?
I’m always telling people about our DVD selection, especially the TV series. I have lots of friends who get frustrated with series being unavailable online, and we provide such an easy (and CHEAP) solution.

 
What is your favorite aspect of working at the library?
I really love all the people I get to see. This is such a friendly and supportive environment, and I’m really thankful for the friends I’ve made working here.

 

What book can you read again and again without losing interest? Why do you still read it?
The Harry Potter series is my go-to rereading material simply because they’re such important books to me. I started reading the books when I was 9, and then the series ended when I was seventeen (the same age was in the last book), so I was really one of the many readers who really grew up with the series. It was also a big point of bonding for my family—all of us, parents included, were big fans and we would have to purchase multiple books when new ones were released so that we wouldn’t fight over them.


If you were a literary character, who would you be and why?
In the same vein as my previous answer, I’d have to say Hermione Granger. She is so smart, funny, and honestly hardcore. Those boys would have died by the end of book one without her.



What is your favorite book format (book, audio, mp3, e-reader, etc.)?
I am still a fan of traditional printed books, mostly so that I can show them all off on my bookcase. However, I also really love audio books because I can listen to them while I’m getting ready in the morning, driving to work, or running errands. I especially love using 3M and downloading them onto my phone.



What is your guilty reading (or listening) pleasure?
Fan-fiction, especially for Doctor Who and Game of Thrones.


What books do you feel guilty for not having read?
SO MANY. As an English teacher, there are a ton of books that everyone expects you have already read, but for one reason or another I haven’t gotten around to them. I’m probably most guilty about never having read ANY Charles Dickens—yet.

 
Have your reading habits changed since working at the library? If so, how?
I think my reading choices have widened. Being around other heavy readers has expanded the kinds of recommendations I get, and so I don’t limit myself to one or two genres anymore.

 
What is your perfect reading environment?
Lying in bed, with a bottle of tea and chips/cookies to snack on.

 
If you were stranded on a desert island, what single genre of books would you want with you?
My favorite genre is always YA. There’s so much variety within the genre itself, and I think that even in the “serious” books you still get a lot of comic relief.

 

What was your favorite children’s book when you were a child? What is your favorite children’s book now?
I don’t think I had a favorite picture book, but my favorite chapter book was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle. Today L’Engle’s novel is still probably my favorite children’s chapter book, but now I also have a favorite picture book: I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen.

 
Before you worked here, what was your worst library transgression?
I was a library SAINT. When I was young, I considered the library to be sacred ground, so I think the worst that I ever did was rack up a fifty cent fine, and even that I felt SUPER guilty about it.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment